Assembly & Secondary Operations
Mechanical & Thermoforming Operations
If you require modifications or enhancements to your extruded tubing to ensure successful product integration, Fluortek, a Nordson Company, specializes in secondary operations and can help you reduce production expenses as well as time to market:
- Hole punching/drilling/skiving
- Pad Printing
- Centerless grinding
- Tip/profile grinding
- Marker band installation
- Precision length cutting
- Tipping (radius/taper)
- Lumen closure/sealing
- Curve forming
Braid & Coil Reinforced Tubing
Flexibility. High kink resistance. Increased pushability and torque. Maximum device control. Fluortek braid and coil reinforced tubing delivers exceptional performance properties manufactured to your exact specifications. Custom sizes and designs and an array of braid/coil materials and patterns are available for a vast range of applications.
A wide assortment of inner and outer materials delivers a full range of lubricity, chemical resistance, hardness, and radiopacity. In-house material compounding and blending allows for custom colors and radiopaque fillers while maintaining strict process control.
Braid & Coil Wire Sizes
- Stainless steel 304, 316 round (~0.002"-0.008" [~0.051mm-0.20mm])
- Stainless steel 304, 316 flat (~0.001" x 0.003"-0.003" x 0.009" [~0.025mm x 0.076mm-0.076mm x 0.23mm])
- Double-stranded 304 stainless steel (~0.0015"-0.004" [~0.038mm-0.10mm])
- Nylon round (~0.003"-0.0098" [~0.076mm-0.25mm])
- Additional sizes/materials available via custom order
- Braided wire reinforced for increased torque properties and kink resistance
- Broad range of mechanical properties achieved through various braid densities and/or material durometers, adding increased control
- Soft, flexible tip configurations designed for atraumatic insertion and ease of maneuverability
- Centerless grinding for improved surface finish
- Different concentrations of radiopacity for various levels of visibility
- PIC counts: dependent on wire and catheter size and mechanical requirements
PIC: One repeat of braid measured along the braid axis is called a pick. The pick count (PIC) is the number of braid repeats or crosses per unit measure, typically over one inch. A higher PIC count will increase longitudinal stiffness, however it will reduce the overall flexibility of the part.
If you need to bond a polymer layer or attach a fitting to a fluoropolymer tube, Fluortek offers fluoropolymer etching, a chemical treatment that alters the tubing’s surface chemistry to enable bonding.
- Inline surface (OD) etching during the extrusion process (PTFE only)
- Dip-etching (only specific surface areas are etched)
- Inside (ID) tube etching